Starseige: War in the Heavens
According to the official cannon of the Synnodia Theocracy, their church was founded when the First Prophet was gifted with the revelation of Higher Power – that there were being above the gods whom deserved ultimate worship. This gospel was met with hostility and persecution by the congregations of gods-fearing religions of the time, but the new faith steadily increased in size until full-scale wars were being fought between the new religion and the old.
Only the First War was enough to bring the constant hostilities to a close as the Synnodia Theocracy joined with the rest of Amaligia in repelling the Invaders. In honor of that truce, the Theocracy has kept its proselytizing efforts strictly invitational rather than forced. Despite this, the majority opinion of the Theocracy is that it is a dangerous cult only tolerated because no empire has the strength to stand against it.
Because the Synnodia Theocracy’s religion and government are one in the same and the Theocracy is extremely proficient in missionary outreach and seeking new converts, there is almost too much information about the structure and functioning of their government. In broad strokes: the Theocracy is divided into 13 labors, each of which holds rankings from lowly supplicant all the way up to a high magistrate which rules over the labor. These Magistrates form the ruling council of the Theocracy, the College of 13. The labors themselves are:
- Crusedetierri – The Military of the Church. They project the will of the faithful into the physical realm.
- Corpus Missionalis – The Missionaries. They project the will of the faithful into the spiritual realm.
- Pietijitsi – The Monks. By punishing the soul they empower the body.
- Opus Flagelettia – The Friars. By punishing the body, they empower the soul.
- Inquisterrata – The Conservers. The inward-facing eyes that guard against corruption.
- Aethestrologae – The Reformers. The outward-facing eyes that seek out evil.
- The Prophets. Those who seek to know the mind of the Synod.
- Iconiclastra – The Destroyers. They demolish the idols of sin and replace them with monuments to glory.
- Solemnnus Scritures – The Recorders. They erase lies and inscribe truth.
- Minis Meddici – The Healers. Through strength of spirit they heal the body.
- Diocesea Exorcea – The Repellers. Through strength of body, they heal the spirit.
- Choir Immaculata – The Music of Worship. With jubilance they bring life to worship and the faithful.
- The Omega Ritualists – The Silence of Worship. With solemn finality, they bring worship and the faithful to death.
The religion of the Synnodian Theocracy and its culture are one in the same. Above all things is the individuals call to absolute devotion to the Synod. One fulfills that call by following the teachings of the Synnodian Theocracy, chief of which are the 3 spires of duty: Duty to Loyalty, Duty to Integrity, and Duty to Sacrifice. Beneath these duties are the compulsions of the individual magistrates, cardinals, bishops, and priests which form the vast network of religious laws within the Theocracy. All true parishoners of Synnodia study these laws as a form of religious enlightenment in and of itself, and all true parishoners likewise follow the laws to the letter.
There is a duality to the material components of Synnodian Culture that seems confusing to outsiders but which members of the church claim is perfectly consistent. The garments and buildings which belong to private citizens are stark and barren as a rule; eschewing fine materials or elaborate construction. This is to remind the individual as their place of humility before the Synod, and to resist the temptations of greed and vanity. On the other hand, material goods belonging to the Church are, as a rule, as grand and ornate as possible. Only the finest materials with the most elaborate and skillful styles and constructions are used to form official church structures and clothes. This is because the Church represents the Synod in the world, and as the Synod is the source of all glory and majesty, the church must be as well.
- The Synnodia Theocracy holds stiff formal relations with the Triune Empire and the Nyhnzyl Kingdom. After the Invader attack which nullified arcane magic on Amaligia, the Synnodia Theocracy’s own divine magic was unaffected, radically changing the balance of power. Many fear the Theocracy will return to its militant ways at any moment and resume a crusade of purging heresy.
- The Theocracy views Invaders and their technology as a mortal sin. They forbid their worshipers from utilizing it, and reject alliances with any civilization that they see as overly-influenced by it. With the current state of the Heavens, that includes pretty much all nations.
- While the Theocracy rejects formal diplomacy with national governments, they eagerly pursue missionary efforts to convert new peoples. Each year they release a scripture praising the new souls admitted to the church which serves as a census of new converts. Most nations consider these numbers to be wildly overstated.